Part-time Cook to the Avenue Club, Kew Community Centre, The Avenue, Kew, TW9 2AJ.
20 hours per week (Monday to Thursday 9.30am-2.30pm) plus occasional extra hours by agreement to cater for special functions and attend staff training.
Reporting to the Manager of the Avenue Club, the Part-Time Cook is responsible for the delivery of catering for the Avenue Club. There is a core group of Avenue Club members who regularly take up lunch. Typically, we serve around 10-20 lunches during each lunch service. We are keen to encourage more members to stay for lunch and we are particularly eager to receive applications from candidates with a desire to devise and implement strategies to support this outcome.
Kew Community Trust is a charity that runs the Avenue Club in The Avenue, Kew. The Avenue Club provides social activities, classes, events and outings for local retired people in order to promote well-being, independence and to combat isolation. The Avenue Club operates during the daytime, Monday to Friday and offers a lunch service Monday to Thursday between 12 noon and 1pm. It is a friendly and thriving club with a current membership of 460.
To plan, prepare and serve fresh, tasty and nutritious lunches to Avenue Club members Monday to Thursday between 12 noon and 1pm.
The lunch offering typically comprises one hot dish (largely traditional fare) and a pudding plus alternatives to the hot lunch which are quick and easy to prepare such as omelettes or sandwiches.
Many of our Club members consider lunch at the Avenue Club their main meal of the day. Therefore, we strive to deliver nutritious dishes cooked from scratch using fresh ingredients.
This is a public-facing role and the successful candidate will need to be friendly and attentive to customer needs, taking into account food allergies and other dietary requirements.
• Preparing and serving fresh, tasty and nutritious lunches to our Avenue Club members.
• Responsibility for menu-planning and ordering ingredients within bugdet for the week ahead in collaboration with the Avenue Club Manager.
• Responsibility for storing ingredients appropriately to include labelling food correctly, maintaining an up-to-date food inventory, using ingredients in rotation to prevent food waste and to ensure we are not storing any out-of-date food.
• Awareness of allergens and the ability to comply with the latest food safety and food handling legislation.
• Providing an excellent level of customer service to our Avenue Club members to include monitoring and responding positively to feedback.
• Responsible for clearing up after the lunch service and ensuring that items are washed and put away.
• To ensure that the kitchen, including the cooking equipment, fridges, freezer and storage areas and kept clean and tidy so that we maintain excellent kitchen hygiene and retain our 5 star hygiene rating.
• To maintain a dairy of daily hygiene checks and fridge/freezer temperatures.
• At least 2 years experience of working as a cook in a commercial kitchen.
• Must hold NVQ Level 2 Food Safety or be prepared to attend a course immediately prior to commencing the role.
• Excellent organisation skills.
• The ability to work autonomously as part of a small, friendly team.
• Must be eligible to work in the UK.
• 2 x excellent work references.
Salary and benefits
Competitive salary plus 4 weeks holiday per annum (pro rata), plus Bank Holidays and closure between Christmas and New Year.
For an application form, please e-mail Nicola Patel, Chief Executive, Kew Community Trust firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 30th June 2018