Townmead Road Waste and Recycling Centre is open; however, there will be significant rules in place regarding when and how people access the centre.
Household collections, the fortnightly paid for Garden Waste collection service and the paid for Bulky Waste collection service are all running.
In accordance with this guidance, the Council will be putting in place several measures to ensure social distancing and the safety of people who have to use the centre. This includes:
• You should only visit if you cannot store your waste without causing a risk of injury, health or harm.
• The items you need to drop off could not be collected via the Bulky Waste service or reinstated Garden Waste collection service.
• If you are unwell with coronavirus, symptoms of the virus or are self-isolating you should stay at home. Those on the NHS shielded list who are considered extremely medically vulnerable should also not visit.
• Weekday opening times have changed (see below).
• If you can use the weekly household waste and recycling service to dispose of your waste (not green waste)– please do so.
• Staff on site will not provide any assistance to remove or carry items from vehicles.
• Stay 2 metres away from other people.
• We recommend that you wear gloves for your own protection.
• Access to vehicles only. No access for those arriving on foot or bicycle.
The Centre is still very busy. The Council is urging residents to really consider whether visiting is urgent or essential. Townmead Road is adjacent to the borough’s Crematorium and the Council is prioritising access to those vehicles who are attending funerals. Stewards will be in place to monitor and control traffic. However, residents are encouraged to look at the Council website and Twitter feed before leaving their homes for the latest updates.
In addition, whilst we will have stewards in place helping to coordinate traffic, please be aware that if the site becomes too busy and unsafe, it might close at short notice.
Townmead is open from Monday to Saturday from 8am to 4pm and on Sunday from 9am to 4pm.